Sunday, June 08, 2008

2008 Decker's Creek Half-Mary Race Report

Man, what a hot @$!$$%^% race!!!!!!!!


Yesterday, Steph and I got up bright and early to get to the start line for the 2008 Decker's Creek Half Marathon. The plan was to show up at a local park and then take a bus to the start line as the beginning is in Masontown (a town 13.1 miles away from the finish line). So we got to the park around 7:45am or so. The race started at 9am.

So, if you have been living under a rock, the weather here on the east coast has been unbearably hot. The race started in 80 degree temps. It ended in the 90s. Ugh!!! I don't think either Steph or I were ready for that kind of heat.

Nonetheless, we performed great.

I finished under 2 hours again (1:58 something) and Steph finished in 2:13. I placed 128 out of 304 and Steph placed 192. I would have finished about 6-8 minutes faster, but I had to take a potty break and I had to walk about a half mile because of the heat. Steph had to walk as well. I'll update this post with the official times once they are published.

Some things that stand out:
  1. The course was along a rail-trail so it was flat (actually it had an elevation loss of about 800 feet).
  2. The course was pretty much through the forest for about 10 miles. I was pretty disappointed in the lack of scenery. The shade was nice however.
  3. Running along a rail-trail is kind of tough in the beginning as there isn't a lot of room to pass.
  4. I began to feel a little nauseous during the race and I think it was because I was drinking too much. The water/powerade was sloshing around in my stomach.
  5. Me and 3 or 4 other runners ran together for practically the whole race which was great as we helped pace one another.
  6. Towards the end, our local Southern States store hung two hoses up on the course so we could run through a shower of water. What a relief!!
  7. The post-race goodies were great!! Steph won a first-aid kit and the food was excellent.
All in all, I'm glad I finished in the time I did. But, I wasn't very happy with the time of the race. It should have started at like 6 or 7 instead of 9am. I'm surprised they didn't have more dehydration problems with the participants. Steph and I did hear that one ambulance left with someone.

Anyway, next week is more biking, running, and swimming. The following week Steph and I head to the Outer Banks for vacation. Although there won't be much vacationing from my training. My TRI in August is coming up and the Marine Corps Marathon will be here before I know it :)

Woot!!

UPDATE: Official time for me was 1:58:22. Steph's was 2:13:48.

2 comments:

Anonymous

NIce job to both you and your wife on a great race in some tough conditions. I am really surprised the half started at 9 especially since we are in June!

Good luck with training.

Anonymous

Hey, glad your gear showed up on time. Now go buy more. :)

Blogger template 'Blackorwhite' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008