Wednesday, October 29, 2008

2008 Marine Corps Marathon Race Report

I've been contemplating how to write this race report over the past few days. This race was a mixture of emotions for me. There were things about it that were great and that I loved, but then there were other things that were frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I completed a marathon and am incredibly happy about it. But, the way the race was managed left me not wanting to run this particular marathon again.

To be cliche, I guess I'll begin at the beginning:

Steph and I arrived in Washington DC on Saturday. We drove in from WV and stayed at the Residence Inn Pentagon City. From our room we could see the Pentagon and the Washington Monument:


We walked around a bit and then grabbed some pasta for dinner. Once we got back from dinner, we hit the sack in anticipation of waking up the next day to run. I didn't get much sleep. I was so excited for the the race that I was awake most of the night.

We got up around 5:15am on race day and took the Metro to the station that let's you out closest to the start line. What the race director's don't tell you is that it is about a mile walk from the Metro station to the start. The marathon started at 8:00am. Steph ran the 10K and her race started at 8:20am. So, our plan was for her to see me off and then for her to book it down to her race. We got to the marathon start line about 7:40am after visiting the Runner's Village.

As I stood there waiting for the race to start, I looked around at all of the runners. There were something like 22,000 registered runners. I think 18,000 finished. I've never competed in a race this big. There were tons of people everywhere.

At 7:50am, the disabled racers began their race and at 8:00am, the cannon went off for us to start ours. Yeah, that's right. A cannon!!! How cool is that?

It was a bit cold at the beginning. I think the temp was around 40 degrees. By the end of the race, it was around 65 degrees. In terms of my gear, I wore my WVU t-shirt, black shorts, gloves, sunglasses, and hat. I cut the toes out of some athletic socks and rolled them up my arms to keep them warm. I figured that I could undress as I needed to as it got warmer. I ended up tossing my socks and gloves around 4-5 miles in.

Anyway, I ran my race for the first 19 miles or so. The only real issue is that I suffered stomach cramps almost from the start. I had taken 5 GU's with me with the plan to eat one every 4 miles until I ran out. But, from the moment I ate the first one, I had problems. I felt like I was going to puke. This went on for the entire race. So, I only ate 4 GU's.

In addition to the GU problem, I decided that in terms of hydration, I was going to carry a bottle with me and fill up from the stations when I needed to. The idea was that I wouldn't stop at every water stop. I would just run until I ran out and then I would stop at the next stop and fill up. That way, I figured, I would only have to stop 2-3 times for hydration. My hydration plan worked great and I only had to stop once for a potty break. The only thing is that I think I didn't get enough electrolytes in. At one stop, I ended up putting more water than powerade in my bottle and I think it may have impacted me later on.

Despite the stomach problems, I was on pace as I hoped and I felt great. Secretly, I hoped to have a sub-4 hour time. I haven't mentioned that on the blog as I didn't to jinx myself. But, I've had wonderful training runs building up to this race and I thought I firmly had a shot at a sub-4 time.

Everything was going decent until I got to mile 19. At least I think it was 19. It could have 17 or 20 for all I know, but I think it was 19. At 19, my left calf cramped up. Bad. I mean really bad. I stopped and streched it out. While stretching it out, I ended up straining my right hammie. Don't ask me how, but I did it. After a minute or so, I began to run again. Now with two problems, not including the stomach cramps.

For the next 7 miles, I alternated running and walking. It stunk. And, at about this point in the race, the crowd really picked up. I should say that this is one of the annoying things about this race that disappointed me. From mile 12-18 or so, it seemed that there were hardly any spectators on the course. And, when there were spectators, many of them didn't cheer. I ran through one section with tons of people where no one cheered at all. In fact, there was one woman sitting in a lawn chair reading a newspaper.

Anyway, as I got closer to the end, the crowd got much better. When I got to mile 25, I decided I was going to run the last mile. I wasn't going to walk at all.

Now, as you may know, I never, never look at the course map before race. I don't want to know what's coming. I'd prefer just to adjust as the race happens. Well, I think I should have looked at the course map for this race. The marathon ends on a hill. Not just any hill. A BIG hill. And the race kind of fools you. As you near the end, there are packed bleachers on both sides of the course. The crowd is going crazy. You feel like a rock star.

Then you turn a corner and you face a hill that goes almost straight up. Ugh!!!

Once you get past the hill, it's about 300 yards to the finish line. I crossed the line and then the real adventure began. My finish time was 4:23:14.


As you cross the line, you are provided with some water and powerade and then you enter a chute to get your medal. After waiting in line for about 10 minutes, I was awarded my medal by a Marine. Wooohooo!!! How cool. And, btw, the medal ROCKS!!!!!


Then you enter another line to get your goodie bag and a picture in front of the Iwo Jima Memorial. This didn't take to long and I was done quickly. Steph and I tracked each other down and she met me at the exit of the runner's area. She had finished her 10K with a time of 56 minutes and was waiting for me to finish my race. The crowd was enormous. We stood in line to get out of the finisher's area for like 15-20 minutes. Once out, we walked around a bit. We picked up my finisher's coin from USAA and then we decided to go back to the hotel.

We had originally planned to come back to the Finisher's Festival as they were having a concert. But, we decided not to because of the crowd. We waited in line for another hour to get back on the Metro. Finally we got back to the hotel. We both took our showers and then headed out to get something to eat.

So, why am I disappointed? First, I was hoping for a sub-4 hour time. I'm not too upset about this, but I really wanted that time.

Secondly, the race crowds were not as supportive as I was hoping. Maybe this was unique to me, but I thought the people weren't into it.

Lastly, the way the race was managed at the end tarnished the experience. I don't know about you, but once I finish a marathon, I want to keep walking for a bit. I need to keep moving. This race forced you to stand still, in line, for a long time. Then, you have to stand in line to get on the Metro to leave the race. I should mention that they didn't allow cabs into the area, so the only way to leave was either the Metro or a shuttle that was equally as packed.

I am extremely happy because we raised money for the cancer fund. And, I got about the coolest medal around. I'm also happy, because I completed another marathon. I'm proud of Steph for completing the 10K. Her medal is pretty cool too. It's in the shape of a dogtag.

You've seen me write this before, but no one runs alone. Everyone who has completed a marathon knows that everyone who supported them during the training, ran the race with them as well. So, thanks to everyone for the encouragement.

I'd also like to thank all those folks who have given money to the Steps for Solace fund. Thank you.

I'd like to especially thank my father-in-law. Like last year, he has been there the entire time this year. From mapping out routes to giving me advice, he has helped out. Although he couldn't come to this race, he was there. Thanks Joe.

Lastly, my wife is an amazing person. I always say that runners are unique people. My wife is not only a runner, but she is also a supporter of a runner. Which means she is wonderfully special. On top of that, she has to put up with me. Thanks Steph. I love you.

Woot!
___________________________________________________________
To donate to the Carolyn E. Miller Steps for Solace Fund, please click here. I am raising $25 thousand to provide comfort and solace to cancer patients seeking treatment.

9 comments:

Marcy

You did FANTASTIC especially given the circumstances. Don't fret, you'll get that sub 4, I'm SURE!! ;D

Steven

Another great post! I love reading about your training and races. I'm not sure why but I do. Thanks for the inspiration!

Andrew is getting fit

What a great, honest race report!

Well done on finishing with a pretty good time even with all the problems you had.

Anonymous

Once again you did a great job. The sub 4 may have been your goal, but like I told you on Sunday, you've now done twice what probably less then 1% of humanity has even attempted, let alone completed.
I'm very proud of you son. Oh yeah, my daughter, your wife, who used to give me an endless amount of grief during my running days, is pretty amazing too.

Joe

David H.

Keep in mind that last year you ran America's Friendliest Marathon, so it may be hard to find a friendlier crowd than in Richmond! :) As for your overall time, look at it this way - you shaved a ton off your first marathon. At this pace you'll be under 4 hours before you know it if you do another one. Congrats on finishing! Last year I learned that only one-tenth of 1 percent of people will finish a marathon (I'm sure that figure is slowly creeping upward) ... and now you've done two.

kikimonster

Awesome job!! You FINISHED. That's all that mattered, especially with the cramps you were dealing with. GREAT JOB :)

Stephanie

I love you, too, babe. (I'm your biggest fan!) And thanks, Dad! :-)

Anonymous

You did a wonderful job. Way to not let the stomach bringyou down. You will get your sub 4. I think we learn soemthing from every race that will make our next one better.

Congratulations to Steph too.

Jason

Thanks everyone for your great comments :)

Welcome Steven...glad you found the site.

Blogger template 'Blackorwhite' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008