Thursday, October 16, 2008

We never say someday

As I was perusing the blogosphere the other day, I ran across a great post by Frayed Laces. In her "Letter to my (non-running) 20-something peers", she explains that runners are a unique breed of person. We train, eat right, train some more, run races, finish races, train, eat right, train....you get the idea. And, because we are so focused on doing those things, we tend to get odd comments from those around us. It seems that other non-running people just don't get why we run. And, since they don't understand it, they tend to mock or make fun.

Who of us hasn't heard someone tell us that we eat too little, or that we train too much? Who hasn't heard the comments about how we're all crazy for running in the rain or driving hundreds of miles to compete in a race?

The difference, as Frayed explains, is that we never say someday. We never say we'll run that marathon someday. We never say we'll do that triathlon someday. We never look at a challenge and then walk away. We face it head on. We choose to say that today is our day. Today, we'll run 26.2 miles. Today, we'll swim 2000 meters. Today, we'll complete that triathlon.

Today, we'll choose to do what we want to do, because we know that someday will never come for us. It is already here. Someday is now. And if we're ready for it, we can do amazing things.

Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.--T.E. Lawrence
In other news, I was tagged the other day by M*J*C. So now I have to list 6 random things about myself. Here goes:
  1. I use special face wash cream made just for men. Yeah I know, I'm a girl.
  2. I have never broken a bone. Ever. I've sprained things before and have had my cornea scratched up a bit, but I've never broken a bone. I also drink a lot of milk.....like enough for a newborn calf....maybe that has something to do with it.
  3. I drive a burnt orange Honda Element and its name is "Donkey".
  4. I don't like to wear white tech shirts while I'm racing. I have dark chest hair and it looks gross when I sweat. I look like a monkey. The ladies really like it. I'm pretty sure I'm going the shaved route once my triathlon training starts kicking in next season.
  5. I've lost count how many times I've started and stopped writing my first novel (Steph probably doesn't even know this).
  6. As a child, I used to melt my plastic army figures with a magnifying glass. I would pretend that it was a death ray. All those damn GI Joe's would be worth a fortune now.
Woot!
___________________________________________________________
To donate to the Carolyn E. Miller Steps for Solace Fund, please click here. I am raising $25 thousand to provide comfort and solace to cancer patients seeking treatment.

7 comments:

Marcy

I'm with you on #2!! I've never (cross my fingers)broken a bone either.

M*J*C

Your whole post was awesome! I love what you said about "Today, we'll choose to do what we want to do, because we know that someday will never come for us. It is already here. Someday is now. And if we're ready for it, we can do amazing things." So true.
And for your 6 random things...
I love the "donkey", the white tech shirts- priceless, and my brother would strangle you for melting the GI Joe's....I wish I would have thought of that! BTW- My brother lives in Mrgantown and works for WVU, his wife is a nurse at Ruby.

Midwest

My brother smashed all of his GI Joes with a hammer. You guys would have had fun together.

Andrew is getting fit

I used to blow mine up with fireworks.

Aah...those were the days.

Felice Devine

"Dreamers of the day." I like that.

kikimonster

Did we all get tagged for those six random things? I have to do mine later... going out for a run while the rain holds!

BTW... your comment about eating too little? I still remember when a certain someone gave you a hard time for not eating cake on "communal office birhtday cake day"... WTH? I sometimes think that people who are dealing with their own weight problems try to sabatoge those of us who have overcome or are trying to overcome them. Grr...

Anonymous

Great post! Lots of inspiration.

My husband can't figure out why our 12yo son never melted his army guys...must be wrong in the head.

Blogger template 'Blackorwhite' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008