Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Albert Gallatin Regatta 5K Race Report

Well, Steph and I chugged through a very hot, hilly 5K course. The race course is described as "Paved, scenic out and back, mostly flat with one short incline, along the Monongahela River"........uhmmmm......that's a bit misleading. The 5K course we ran was way far away from one short incline.

And it was hot....hot and wet.....(I'll spare you the Robin Williams line). But, nonetheless, it was the hottest day of the year so far. Also, the race was at 5pm. An odd time for me (but not Steph) to run. Anyway, we both were pleased with our performance. I took it easy and ran it in 25:13 (according to my watch). The official results aren't posted yet. I'll update this entry once the results are final.

Yesterday I did another brick (15 mile bike, 4 mile run) and today was a 13 mile bike and 700 yard swim. I started wearing a heart monitor to gage my training. I've not done anything specific yet, but I know to keep my heart rate between 130 and 148 for zone 2 training. So that was my goal today. I stayed pretty much above 140.

The swim is becoming easier and easier. I'll continue to follow my plan to get me to swim 1 mile in 6 weeks. Although I should fess up and tell you that last Friday was the first time I could do 100 yards straight, so I'm considering this week to be my first week of following this program.

Tomorrow is 5 mile run and 700 swim again.

Woot!

UPDATE: My official time was 25:15. I came in 8 out of 22 in my age group and 50 out of 138 overall.

1 comments:

xt4

Hey there - seems like things are clicking for you! Great work on the race and your brick workouts, and hang in there in the water - you've got a solid plan, and I'm sure it'll come. IM 2010 baby!

Blogger template 'Blackorwhite' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008