Thursday, May 22, 2008

Cross Training

Today's theme over at Runner's Lounge is cross training. Like most people, I never really thought cross training was that big of a deal. Man, was I wrong. Since I've taken up triathlon training, I've quickly realized the benefits of swimming, cycling, and weight training. I can't pinpoint which one of those has made the most difference in my running, but I can tell you that they have made a difference.

My running times have decreased substantially. My easy pace now is around 8:30/mile. I never thought I'd be running that pace as an easy pace. In addition, the cross training has livened up the training I'm doing. I now am training for two or three activities in one training session. I'll do a bike ride immediately followed by a run or a swim. It makes for an more interesting training regimen.

Lastly, cross training has opened up a whole new world called triathlon. I can compete in multisport events because of the success I've had with cross training.

So, if you are thinking about cross training and the benefits in can provide your running, I would say go out and bike a few miles before a run. Do some core weight training. Or, swim a little after a long run. You'll be amazed at the improvements you'll see.

4 comments:

David H.

I know some people who like to bike, but will do triathlons; I know runners who will do triathlons; and I know swimmers who do triathlons. I don't know many people who actually like to do all three and do all three in one workout. You sound like you're on your way to being one of those people! Just think, a year ago you didn't know if you'd actually be able to do the Richmond Marathon!

Chief Wahoo

Cross training is a weakness for me - i just don't do enough of it. I have found in the last few months that weight lifting has really helped my running, concentrating on compund lifts seems to work best for me and I have gotten into a routine of doing squats or deadlifts after running 3 or 4 miles twice a week. Good stuff!

Lauren @ mostly i run

I'm one of those runners who do triathlons that dave h is talking about.

Well, I haven't done a triathlon yet, but I'm going to this summer.

So, signing up for the race has made me add cross training. But I'm hoping at least one of the two new sports will stick!

Jason

David, yeah I know, how big of a freak am I?

Congrats merry on your signing up for your tri...this summer will be my first as well.

Chief, that's the trick. isn't it? Getting out and doing it :) I've also found that all the core weight exercises work great.

Blogger template 'Blackorwhite' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008