Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A rock no more!!!

I swam 100 yards non stop today!!!! Woohoo!!! Actually, I swam much more than that in total, but I did a couple of 100 yard repeats non stop. Things were clicking pretty well. I also didn't use the pull buoy at all. I'm really quite happy with my improvement. Just a couple of weeks ago, I could barely swim 25 yards non stop.

All of this swimming was after my brick this morning (15 mile bike and 4 mile run). One of my students came with me on the bike ride. He had one of those CamelBak hydration packs. It seemed to work pretty well. I may end up buying one of them, especially as the days get warmer.

I've gotten some questions recently about how I fit in all this training with other obligations I have. Well first, I am a college professor which means I have a lot of free time on my hands. One of the nicer things about my job is that, unlike my other academic colleagues, I don't have to advise, write papers, or attend faculty meetings. All I have to do is teach 2 classes a semester.

Secondly, all the other work I do (consulting) is done on my schedule. I don't do anything that I don't want to do. Third, I surround myself with talented, bright people who don't need me to direct how they do their work. So, I can comfortably trust them to complete tasks like they should. All I have to do is review and approve.

Lastly, and most importantly, my wife is 100% supportive. She's a runner and understands. I live a pretty special existence and I know it. I'm very lucky. That's why I am able to train like I want.

Tomorrow is 15 mile bike and 4 mile run.

Woot!

0 comments:

Blogger template 'Blackorwhite' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008