Monday, September 15, 2008

Earphone Suckage

Can you hear me now? No really, can you? You wouldn't if you had my freakin' earphones.

I'm prefacing this post by letting you know that about a month ago, I bought new earphones. They are over there on the right. they are called Nike Skylons. Before I got these, I had Nike earphones that were one version down. I liked those a lot. But I had to get new ones as I break them all the time. I go through headphones like crap through a goose.

So anyway, I bought these Skylons because Target didn't have the other kind. But, the Skylons have these over the ear things that keep the earphones in my ear (just like my old ones). I've gone through bunches of earphones to find the right ones that would stay in my ear. It seems that as I sweat, the earphones want to fall out.

So, about a month ago I get these things. I upack them, pull them out, and then notice that the idiots who packed these things in the hard-to-open, curse-at-god, packaging had wrapped the earphone wire around so tightly that it permanently bent the wire.

This is probably hard to imagine, but think of a copper wire you've wrapped around your finger. Take the wire off your finger without unwrapping it, and that's what my earphone wire looks like.

I thought, ok, I can live with this...over time the wire will unwravel itself. Nope. It didn't. The problem is that the damn things pull out of my ears because the "wrapped" earphone wire weighs so much that with every stride, it bounces and pulls the earphones out. ARGH!!!!!!!

To top it all off, guess what I paid for these crappy things?....wait for it.......wait for it.....


$50 bucks!!!!!!!! That's right, I paid $50 dollars for these pieces of crap.

So, if you are buying headphones, go past the Nike versions.

Got 5 miles in today. The weather was cool, but it was overcast. 8 tomorrow.

Woot!
___________________________________________________________
To donate to the Carolyn E. Miller Steps for Solace Fund, please click here. I am raising $25 thousand to provide comfort and solace to cancer patients seeking treatment.

4 comments:

Andrew is getting fit

I feel your pain. It really sucks when you spend a lot of money on something that is supposed to be good and then is not.

I've got sucky headphones as well. I hear the Sennheiser MX series are pretty good so I'll try those next.

Lori

I have gone through so many...
I have thrown away a couple $50 headphones...(from target, including those said Skylons)
I stick with some goofy looking--but perfect for me--cheap--but proven--Sony MDR-W08 (10 bucks)
I'm on my 4th pair, but they last quite awhile for the abuse I give them.
I like them a lot, I can hear my music (or podcast) and I can hear what is going on around me.

David H.

I have some random Sony brand that have lasted more than a year now. I bought them from Target and probably paid about $15. I don't wear them on every run though, but besides the usual tangling, I've had no problems.

mrjwhit~

Nike might really want to go over their quality control systems. They put out some janky tech.

I have some $9 Phillips headphones from Target. I've had them for better than a year and a half.

Blogger template 'Blackorwhite' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008