Sunday, September 21, 2008

Navy SEAL Challenge

Steph and I traveled to our local running store as Steph needed some new shoes. She's been battling with an ugly black toenail. Turns out that her shoes were not fitting exactly as they should. She picked up a half size bigger today. Hopefully, that'll take care of the problem.

Also, I'm in the process of changing up my hydration routine. I don't plan on changing anything before the Marine Corps, but afterward, I intend to experiment a little. I've been hearing all kinds of good things about NUUN. And, as I enter long-distance triathlons, I need to figure out some new ways to get carbs (and a little protein) in my body as I compete. Although, NUUN doesn't provide either, it frees me up to control what carbs and proteins I get in and takes care of my electrolyte needs without having to drink a sports drink.

I can't tell you how much I hate sports drinks. I've been cutting them with water for about as long as I can remember. I just can't drink them after a while. They taste like crap. NUUN should help with that situation. Anyone ever used NUUN? Comments?

Lastly, I've figured out one more race for 2009. As long as it doesn't conflict with any of the Ironman events I'm planning for next year, I'll be participating in Rudy's SEAL Challenge on June 20, 2009.

From the website:

"The five mile course is an adventurous and challenging route which transverse thick woods, steep hills, rolling sand dunes, obstacles and physical challenges. Actual SEAL team instructors and Rudy Boesch of "Survivor" fame will be on hand to uh..."motivate" and um.... "encourage" participants to do their best."
Sounds pretty cool. I know you do push ups, pull ups, run through some water and do some sort of obstacle course.

Proceeds from the race benefit the Naval Special Warfare Foundation (NSWF).

Hooyah!!!
___________________________________________________________
To donate to the Carolyn E. Miller Steps for Solace Fund, please click here. I am raising $25 thousand to provide comfort and solace to cancer patients seeking treatment.

9 comments:

Matt Hart

seal challenge sounds cool.

nuun is essential for long distance racing. great stuff.

good luck with it all!

mrjwhit~

Hey that NS challenge looks great. Let me see if my team would like to do it. We need a road trip.

Thanks for commenting on my blog.

K @ Running Through Life

Nuun has a very light taste and does not have that sugary sweet taste that a lot of sports drinks have. Good luck with the NS challenge and your runs!

Anonymous

Have you ever tried Hammer nutrition? They have amazing products, expecially their Recoverite and Perpetuem.

Anonymous

i did the 6/21/08 seal challenge. its not hard. only 5k. its over in 1 our tops, so if your traveling far i wouldnt waste your time...unless you just want to brag that you did a "Seal challenge"...hmmmmm.

Anonymous

Just wondering where you confirmed the '09 Rudy Run? I ran it in '06 and '08, and am looking forward to improving my performance yet again now that I am 50. Thanks and all the best in your Ironman pursuits!

Anonymous

Just an FYI...the 2009 Rudy's Seal Challenge is June 6, NOT June 20.

Anonymous

A similar race in Virginia Beach is the Armed Services YMCA Mud Run on August 8, 2009.

http://asymcamudrun.com/

SomeGuyInVA

FYI, this race has been cancelled. Like the commenter above, I suggest the ASYMCA Mud Run (it is on the same naval base). Loads of fun and unlike Rudy's SEAL Challenge, the mud run has a beer truck at the end.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

From www.dailymile.com:
Runners,

I am sorry to inform you that due to unforeseeable events and increased costs, the 2009 Rudy SEAL Challenge is cancelled. This was not an easy decision but one that had to be made. We will be sending out refund checks to the address listed on your registration. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and look forward to being of service in the future.

Sincerely, Mike Hillian
michael.hillian@yahoo.com

Blogger template 'Blackorwhite' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008